Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 06:45:47 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
Jennifer,
Your explanation of how you approach mothers was not rambling, it was wonderful and a message that we all need to hear.  We use the same approach that you do, after years of frustration with being what we thought were breastfeeding advocates and not understanding when we totally turned people off--after all, we were just "trying to get them to do what was best for them and their baby!"  Probably many breastfeeding advocates are using your approach, but had never put into words why they were communicating with their clients/patients in that way.  I have had LC's express guilt over not being more aggressive in their client interactions--but on the gut level had figured out that that doesn't work.  Your post has helped many people define their approach as a positive one that can result in the outcome they desire--babies being breastfed.
I have developed a workshop that explains the concepts of communication when dealing with parents and non-lactation health care professionals concerning breastfeeding issues.  Congratulations on figuring out for yourself that communication is more than giving information.  As I tell my workshop participants--if you are happy with the reaction to your message, don't change.  If you feel you could be more effective by using another approach, don't change the message, just the delivery.
Warmly,
Glenda Dickerson
B'ham, AL  USA
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  To: Recipients of LACTNET digests 
  Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 5:13 AM
  Subject: LACTNET Digest - 9 Mar 2004 to 10 Mar 2004 - Special issue (#2004-390)

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2