Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2016 14:41:28 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
 Thank you for this handout and video. They are very helpful. I was just asked this question about using sucrose with a breastfed baby by a nurse at my work. We had been discussing how formula can change the infant's microbiome and the question was does sucrose also have any impact on the microbiome, or on the development of the GI tract, especially during the first 3 days of life. Since sucrose is used frequently during painful procedures here during the first few days. They are wondering if it impacts the work that colostrum needs to do, or the microbiome. I said it's my understanding that formula has a detrimental effect, but that sucrose hasn't been studied as to whether or not it interferes with this process. So in my opinion, it is probably much less of an impact than formula, but since we don't know, we should attempt to give colostrum or let the baby breastfeed instead whenever possible. Does anyone know of any research about any impact of using sucrose during the colostral phase on newborns? Thank you.
Tricia Shamblin, RN, IBCLC

Date:    Sun, 24 Apr 2016 21:33:09 -0400
Subject: Re: sucrose for pain relief

CHEO (Childrens Hospital of Eastern Ontario) has done research on this and have this video posted:

http://www.cheo.on.ca/en/BeSweet2Babies

I have found that skin to skin and breastfeeding, or sucrose for a non latching infant makes all the difference in taking blood samples, and I rarely have a baby cry during the procedure. I also witness extreme stress in babies who are not skin to skin, breastfeeding or not given sucrose when blood samples are taken. 

Hope the website answers some of your questions regarding this,

Sonya

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2