Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 14:59:14 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
I am email counseling a mom that has a baby that she says has just been diagnosed with mild cleft palate, the baby is almost a month old.  From what she says, the cleft is way back in the mouth, not visible unless you are looking for it.  She had taken the baby in for a continually congested sound, especially when nursing.  The dr. threatened to put the baby in the hospital with a feeding tube in her belly because she has only gained an ounce in the month since her birth.  The mom started pumping immediately and is bottle feeding now per doctors orders... but the baby is only intaking about an ounce at a time and then she falls asleep.  I told the mom that she needs to find an LC in her area because this is beyond my scope for email counseling, and I want to make sure that someone will be able to follow up by seeing them in person, so she is supposed to let me know where she lives so I can help her find someone.  I told her that I was concerned with her latch and asked her all the basic questions about how her breasts feel before and after a feed, etc.  I am just kind of stumped,  I have never had a cleft palate case before.

Melisa
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Did you hear? Breast is Best!
Certified Lactation Counselor
IBCLC Exam Candidate
Homeopathic Counselor in training
www.nurturingmama.com  

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2