Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 15:56:27 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
On the question of intake in the first 24 hours, Linda Smith did a very nice table on milk intake and stomach size during the first week-6 months based on the research of Peter Hartmann et al.  Milk intake on Day 1 is 10-100 ml with an average of 37 mls.  Stomach size, BTW, is 5-7 mls.  I use this
info to reassure mothers and also give a copy of the table to all the residents I teach.  It's quite an eye-opener!

For another piece of news, I took the Bonding Tips list poster presentation to Sigma Theta Tau Conference in Toronto last weekend and it was well-received.  I met some lactation people from across the country (USA), Philadelphia to San Diego!  I have been consumed with work of late, so haven't spent
much time chatting on the list, in case anyone wondered.  I found some interesting tidbits at this conference.  I heard a speaker from South Korea who says in their country, moms of premies are only allowed a couple of hours a day in the NICU with their babies because of doctor's concerns about
infection!  Her talk was about an intervention that entailed contact with the mother a few times after the baby is discharged leading to improved outcomes for those babies.  Apparently, the norm is that there is NO contact with mom after baby is discharged.  Incredible.  I talked to her further
after the presentation, thinking...they would do better putting time and energy into encouraging Kangaroo Mother Care and breastfeeding.  Then, they'd see some major improvements in outcomes.  But, it sounded like docs run the show (not all that different on the face of it) but she saidt the
environment over there is very different than it is in the States.  I guess what we have is at least better than that.  I also listened to a talk by a lady who teaches a breastfeeding case study class at a university in Philadelphia.  Sounds like she's doing some exciting things as well!  I'm
surprised I hadn't heard of her -and her students'!- work.  How great would it be to have classes like this in more universities?!

Marsha, still swamped but wanting to "reconnect"!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Marsha Glass RN, BSN, IBCLC~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~John S. C. Abbot~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2