Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Aug. 19, 2007
Re: Codeine in BF babies
      Nausea with MER
Nausea:
In many years (as an LC and IBCLC in a hospital setting), I witnessed several cases of nausea in BF mothers.  In each mom, the nausea was brief, and occurred at the beginning of each feeding.  In the cases I followed, all but one reported diminished nausea, or cessation of nausea, within the first week.  One mother reported continued nausea for several weeks.
Codeine use:
Mothers were commonly given Percocet for post delivery pain.  Those recovering from C/S's often took medication every four hours for two or three days.  My observation (and that is all I have to go on) was that, during the first three days, when pain was severe, babies did not show any symptoms which could have been codeine related.  By the time the milk "came in," when increasing amounts of medication MIGHT have been transferred to baby, most BF mothers were down to one or two pills a few times a day.  Only one outstanding case was a mother who had a history of drug abuse, and, at home, at two weeks plus, was STILL taking two pills every four hours around the clock.  She reported that her baby was very sleep and she was having difficulty nursing him.
The Lactation Center at the hospital in Rochester  (New York) has a phone line.....they usually have recent and objective information re: drugs and BF.
ckt IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2