Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2007 07:28:17 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
I firmly believe that in order to get some to "cross over to our side" we need to put this in terms of the BABY's right to breastfeed rather than the mother's right to breastfeed her baby.  When the latter approach is used, it leaves room for objectors to say it's mom meeting some perverse need or wanting to be some sort of exhibitionist.  Yes, mom has a right to have her full breasts relieved, but other than that, it really centers around the baby needing to "eat" when it needs to (after all, noone objects to a baby getting a bottle anywhere it happens to be!).  Baby has no sense of "later" and should not have to get used to an alternative, inferior method of feeding (expressed milk in a bottle) just because someone else has a distorted notion.
To those who say stupid things like "You don't urinate in public, so you shouldn't nurse in public." and just don't get that nursing is not a means of getting rid of bodily waste, I point out that when one urinates artificially (catheter and collection bag) they don't do that in public view, 
Yes, there is far more to nursing a baby than what I have mentioned above, but I'm talking about what might get some blockheads to begin to change their thinking.

Winnie

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2