Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 2015 17:28:33 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
I've read all achived posts on anything remotely related to this topic. Although few in number, I found them very helpful. However, they didn't address a couple of questions.

background: I've been contacted by a cancer navigator that is working with a mother currently nursing and she has been diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma. The infant has just started some solids, but nursing full time. The navigator called me with concerns about the mom researching the possibility of intermittently not breastfeeding between chemotherapy dosing r/t 1/2 lives, etc. 

1. What recommendations would there be r/t pumping supplies that come into contact with her milk during the time she is expressing and discarding it? Such as a) cleaning guidelines,  b) equipment storage between equipment uses, I'm assuming it would be recommended to store pump flanges/bottles high out of potential reach/contact with toddler and other family in the home. Is the concern just during the discarding time or would you recommend she discard all those 'contaminated' supplies? 

2. What recommendations have you heard related to contact precautions to prevent infant contact with potential leaking while holding infant during normal mothering care (in the time period of recommended discarding milk). 

Mom is aware that her supply will probably diminish as a normal effect of the chemotherapy's caustic nature.
Other recommendations are very welcome.

Rachel A. Miller BSN, RN, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2