Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 09:17:12 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Well, I knew it was inevitable. This is the translation of the article in the main section of Israel's top (or 2nd, who cares) newspaper.:

Babies that bf more than 4 months are apt to develop in later years (bagrutom) heart diseases, 
high blood pressure and high cholesterol - this is what a new research by The Center for Infant Nutrition of the Institute for Child Health and was published in the British Medical Journal.

The researchers checked 171 women and 160 men ages 20-28/ They used sophisticated imaging(hadmaya) techniches to detect hardening of the arteries, that can predict later heart disease. According to their findings' people who were breastfed more than 4 months developed hardening of the arteries in a much higher incidence than those who were breastfed less than 4 months or those who were bottlefed.

The researchers feel that breastfeeding infants until 4 months is recommended but claim that it is about time to reassess the widespread assumption that "Breastfeeding is the best thing for as long as the infant and mothers desire it."

NOW, did I miss something. I read the whole study, but maybe I missed the part about cholesterol and high blood pressure. Was that addressed here? At least I could catch them out at inaccurate interpretation? 

Did anybody catch the bit in the Conclusion of the Abstract section: about BF having "several" benefits?? Not 20, not 10, not a myriad, not many BUT several. quote:
"These data should not alter current recommendations in favour of breast feeding, which has several benefits for infant health. Further work is needed, however, to
explore the optimal duration of breast feeding in relation to cardiovascular outcomes. "unquote

Now is that objective?

I have sent this to all the LLL gang, IBCLCs in Israel, Ministry of Health contacts that I have, and would like to write a letter to the ministry of Health and have THEM reply to the press.
UGH, what a way to start the day!  Glad you are there to share. 

Ellen in what is usually SUNNY in Tel Aviv!

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2