Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2007 01:29:13 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
 Dear? Colleagues,
I have wanted to address this topic for the past many weeks, but have had precious little time. Often in posts, LCs will make the statement that because they are unable to contradict doctors, they are unable to effectively help a mom with xyz problem. If we continue to say this, we will make it so through our agreement with it. It is not true. It was written into a SOP that was never approved and must never be approved. I do not know how it is that anyone believes that she has a mandate to validate anyone's misinformation or even to refrain from providing completely contradictory information where appropriate, but we are only as constrained as we allow ourselves to be. Everyone has the right to information and everyone has the right to make informed decisions. When it comes to infant feeding, it is highly unlikely that a mother will receive accurate information unless we provide it to her. I am asking that my colleagues refrain from acting (or not) on the false premise that we are constrained from providing information when it contradicts a doctor.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network LLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2