Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:08:31 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
I have learned that premies need to be on a three-hour sleep schedule to allow them to release enough growth hormones.  Years ago, I was also told that premies spend so much more energy just to maintain state (temperature, respiration rate, etc.) that they need to sleep more because they wear themselves out.

However, I have run into many parents who have been taught that their premature baby should eat every 3 hours, and then as baby matures, these same parents lament how baby is "fussy" because he cries before 3 hours, or they must be losing their milk (same reason).  So I have learned to "pre-teach" them when they come to my office for a rental pump to maintain supply.  I tell them that it is normal for their premie to sleep a lot now.  Then I tell them that the average full-term baby eats every 2 hours.  So as the baby matures, expect him to begin to pull his feedings closer together.  I tell them this is not a sign of trouble, but a sign that the baby is maturing into the condition he would have been had he been a healthy, full-term baby.  So I head off that anxiety and "holding off the baby" at the pass.  Works pretty well.
    Dee Kassing, IBCLC, RLC
   Collinsville IL in central USA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2