Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 May 2013 00:32:26 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
Effath writes of what her client complains about:

< The itch is only on the side I'm feeding from and ends as soon as she stops nursing. It causes me extreme irritation almost to the point that i feel like pulling her away from the breast. I've had this since the beginning.>

This strongly suggests to me some degree of contact irritation related to the baby's head, or possibly baby's or mom's clothing. Quite possibly moms pores are more "open" from slightly greater body heat when baby is nursing on that side??? and this is the factor that lets it happen while nursing and not at other times??? Can't hurt a thing to operate on this assumption for 48" hours to test the theory out.

Baby shampoo? Baby lotion? Even if delicate, mom could still be somewhat allergic to them. Try skipping the baby lotion and rinse head over and over with clear water, and make sure the towel or baby bath towel used on baby is treated as below:

Special baby laundry soaps are unnecessary. There will be no laundry residue if you give each load an extra rinse with 1/2 c. of distilled white vinegar added to that rinse. Odor will leave as it's being dried, either on a clothesline or in a dryer. Be sure not to use any dryer sheets, etc. Make sure baby's towels and bed linens are washed this way too. {Probably mom's towels and sheets and bras etc. too, to be sure nothing of mom's is causing the irritation when pores open wider when sweating.)

Certainly can't harm a thing, even if it doesn't change a thing!

K. Jean Cotterman RNC-E, IBCLC
WIC Vounteer LC     Dayton OH

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2