Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 2013 12:43:15 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
This issue of adding powdered formula to breastmilk virtually insures that most of the babies in the town I work in will be exclusively formula fed within a month of coming home.  The doctors are of the mind that "bigger is better" and seemingly looking for these babies to catch up "ASAP" rather than "as soon as their mom's perfect breastmilk allows."  Ah- but there's the rub!  They do NOT think breastmilk is adequate. Even for full term babies they RX it without a care.  So what is the result of this belief system?
Our mothers are taught:
1.  Breastmilk is WEAK.  This is what they have been teaching our population for several generations here, now.
2.  Since you have to add formula to it, you have to PUMP.
Therefore:
Breastfeeding really doesn't work that well for any early baby, small baby, big baby, fussy baby, etc. etc.  Because pumping is hard and time consuming, and then, of course, most moms end up NOT HAVING ENOUGH, (using crappy pumps, not pumping often enough)  so might as well go with formula from the start.  After all, it has those EXTRA nutrients in it that doctor is worried about.

And, at least that way, the doctors will be happy.

I really think this is one of two major issues that MUST be tackled before the obesity problem can be turned around.  

The other, and I think even MORE important, is that newborns are allowed to guzzle well over an ounce on day one of life, if they seem even remotely unhappy.  MANY parents tell me their 1-3 day old has been drinking two ounces at a time "because he kept drinking."

I would like to know why formula makers are allowed to provide formula to hospitals in two ounce quantities, rather than the hospital providing the maximum amount to the parents (like medication!) that the baby should be allowed to have at any one time.

Sue Jacoby
CA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2