Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 20:05:11 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
Hi all,

re: Valerie's statement and comparison to our car mechanics. there certainly can be a comparison. I have faith in my mechanic and I trust his professionalism, which will first determine that I have a brake problem, and thus supply me with brakes instead of sending me down the road which is both time consuming and probably more costly.

As we are in this business to help others, it is an additional service,  making these products:
1) available
2) available at a comparable price
3) the right products to choose - even on site assistance as to their proper use.

As long as some of our clients MIGHT buy these aids, we might as well save them time and money. I never say that these things (pumps, bfg pillows, bras, slings etc....) are absolute necessities, and I even say that to my clients, but  I can help them make a right choice. I don't say that there is never a question of ethics involved, because we are many and very varied personalities, but I think I can speak for most who sell products that in the long run, we aren't getting rich from this, and it is usually more a headache than a pleasure! I am sure the extra income even helps some stay afloat, which we all know is pretty hard.
If my MD would prescribe a certain medication and could sell it to me, I again, would have enough faith in him where I would either purchase it, and not have to run to the local drugstore (which doesn't happen here in Israel because it is available at very minimal costs thru our health services) or not have faith in him or not trust him and choose to buy it somewhere else. It is a matter of trust, after all.
and what is wrong with the MD making a profit from the selling of the medication?  Maybe I am naive, but I don't really think he or she would try to sell a medication that wasn't indicated for a certain condition. The small profit made from selling a breastshell, isn't really profit, but giving advice, and charging a fee for it. By recommending certain things and spending time describing their use, IMHO is tantamount to charging a fee for the service and not necessarity profit. and once again, there is no shame in making money. We aren't all hospital based, and are not guaranteed a salary by a permanent place of work. I would imagine that sales and pump rentals are what keeps some of us in business. I can see where you might think that our ethics are at stake, as IBCLC's , but I can't really accept that one precludes the other - Sales = lack of ethics. I think it would depend on each professions goals and intentions which can vary from profession to profession. We aren't MD's and we aren't necessarily RN's. We are IBCLC's and as such one doesn't necessarily have to fit the definition or follow in the exact footsteps of the professions that came before us. 
just my 2 agorot.

ellen shein,
tel aviv

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2