Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 00:32:11 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
Hi all,
I don't know if you remember the details of this case. Mother successfully bf for 7 weeks. Baby started with green stools and  which ultimately turned into transparent, explosive, fluid diarrhea 3 weeks ago and was hospitalized. I had posted saying that it seemed there was atrophy of the villi, baby was taken off of all breastmilk and given rehydration solution and diluted pregestimil. The whole time we are in daily contact.
Lactose intolerance was mentioned but not 100% confirmed.  Dr. Jack had recommended getting ebm treated with lactase drops to the baby treated, which I passed on to the mom.

The mom has all but ceased pumping. She still feels bad but is at a total loss in regard to reckoning and debating with the MD staff. When on 1/2% diluted pregestimil the baby is stabilized. There has been NO weight gain in the 3 weeks that they have been in hospital. As soon as the concentration of the pregestimil is increased the diarrhea returns. Now that the mom is pretty much convinced that this does not have much to do with lactose intolerance, and mentioned this to the drs., they still ruled out ebm and are now talking about protein being the culprit.

I found out the names of very pro bf  ped. and gastro person and found out that she has the legal right here in Israel to bring in an outside second professional opinion.  Again, I am convinced that this baby should be back on the breast and fast!!! But it isn't in my hands, I just hope the mom will have the strength to go that bit further and bring someone else in on this. I gave her the phone numbers and encouraged her in the most diplomatic way I could. I think she will. Will let you know .

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2