Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2002 16:20:11 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Jean said,
<< When I read the article, I noted that it did not mention SIDS, and even gave an example of a 2 y.o. whose crib was against the wall, and the parents bed pushed up next to it, and she somehow fell down in the crack between the two, handing by her neck, and died from lack of O2.
So it seems they are now not going after only the idea of cosleeping for babies, but of any young child sleeping in an adult bed, ever.>>
I have long been annoyed at how the line is blurred between SIDS and suffocation deaths.  I believe the research does show an increased risk for babies who sleep in adult beds and are not breastfed.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.  This, though, sounds like the problem was the crib.  It wouldn't
have happened if the child were in the parents' bed, not trying to climb out the crib into it!  What I think is missing from this whole issue is the recognition that you can't prevent EVERY accident.  They talk about "preventable deaths", like a set of rules will do that.  No set of rules can fix
every accident, just as, if someone knew that around the next corner, they would hit a car running a stop light and be killed, they would go a different way!  It was not their car or driving that caused it.  Just a tragic accident.  Likewise, we can't prevent ALL plane crashes, or train or
what-have-you.  Still we do not tell people to never fly, or drive or ride a train.  Sure some of these could have been preventable, but this is real life and it's not that tidy!
Last week, a local reporter did a story on bed-sharing which aired, coincidentally, the night before this new bed-sharing 'warning' came out.  I don't think her story had anything to do with that warning, because it preceded it and made no mention of it.  It did mention the Infant Sleep Safety
brochure which I posted notice of to LN when we finished it.  This reporter interviewed a member of our committee, who is the state SIDS Alliance coordinator and a rabid anti-bed-sharing believer!  She has a pretty big platform, as such, for spreading her message of dire warning!  The story included
a picture of this woman's infant who died at 2 months or so of SIDS.  That was 20 years ago.  Interestingly enough, the story made no mention, just as the woman herself does not, that this child died IN A CRIB!   Sorry, didn't mean to shout.  Or maybe I did!   Boy, that sure is mixing messages to
benefit your own cause, to my way of thinking!

Marsha, who is wondering how any baby will gain self-security if this is where our society is headed in the good ole U.S!!!

Marsha Glass RN, BSN, IBCLC ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~John S. C. Abbot~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2