Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2012 08:05:44 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (41 lines)
Renee, You are right in asking if this product doesn't drip, but babies finsih faster, what else is happening? 
I am concerned about this and other long, firm bottle nipples, as they miss the first part of the process of breastfeeding, by presenting the baby with a firm, pre-formed oral object. Thus it doesn't in any way replicate for the baby the stage of drawing soft breast tissues into the mouth to form a "teat". The research measurements appear to start after this stage, when the baby is "on" the object, ignoring the first stage of the process, and to me that seems flawed.  It is what is tested and measured that is important.
Over the years that long, firm teats have been promoted, I've seen more mothers that I used to see, whose babies are harder to latch at the breast - after having a long, firm silicon or rubber teat introduced very early. They've missed out on learning to draw in breast tissue when most receptive. When presented with the breast, they just lie there and wait for a firm "teat'" to form itself, or they become frustrated and distressed. I first encountered this when the long Cannon teat was popular.
Another brand, claimed to be "peristaltic", seems to require work to release the first bolus of milk - and after that they flow fast. Indeed, I've seen even a very large baby flooding on the Pigeon peristaltic, and making distressing glugging noises. Some HCPs seem to be recommending one or other of these expensive teats, but parents are telling me they don't measure up to the claims and they don't see an advantage.
If parents are using a bottle and teat, I suggest they use at least two different types, so that Mum's breast is the one consistent experience. Some of you will have noticed that the less fancy teats on the market also seem to work better with "pacing" bottle feeding. It's technically difficult with some brands.
In the course of my research over many years, I have read the claims made of different designs of bottle-teat technology from 1861 to now, some of which drop from sight after a period of time, others resurfacing with different materials and name. It will be very interesting to see what the next wave is, and what the promises are. (Let me guess - they will include "anti-colic" and "prevents wind"....)
Cheers,
Virginia

Dr Virginia Thorley, OAM, PhD, IBCLC, FILCA
Private practice lactation consultant
Cultural historian of the History of Medicine
[log in to unmask] 
------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 27 Nov 2012 23:04:31 -0800
Subject: 
Recently, several clients told me they are using the calma nipple 
because they were told it was just like breastfeeding because the baby 
has to work very hard to get the milk out.  Several times I filled a 
bottle with water and turned it upside down.  It does not seem to drip 
BUT the mothers are now telling me that the babies finish 3 - 4 oz 
faster than with any other nipple.  Anyone know what is going on here?  
I may have to take a deep breath and try sucking on it.

Renee (in Vancouver)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2