Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2009 21:11:32 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
 There is strong evidence that the origins of autism is in the pre and early perinatal period. While there is a genetic predisposition, genetic expression is always dependent upon environmental factors. We need to think of the environment broadly--the physical environment inside and outside of the human body, the emotional environment, the fetal environment. There is a correlation in the literature between induction, cesarean and autism.

While I personally believe that Paul Offit's work is deeply biased, I do not really think it is relevant. If genetic expression of autism has its origins in early life, then the role of vaccines would be more likely to be additive that causal. I think we need to look at much earlier triggers. In doing so, then toxins in the fetal environment and mother's milk are of great concern. The idea that mothers dump the majority of their toxins in the first baby may not hold true. It is certainly true, though that fetal exposure will be far more significant than exposure through breastfeeding.

Even so, as much as we always want to preserve breastfeeding, we need to be honest about the reality of toxins in human milk. The good news is, that human milk is the only "toxic substance" that is safer to consume than avoid. And given that the pre and perinatal origins of autism are reflected in attachment difficulties, premature weaning cannot intuitively be a wise move. So, IMO, the wise move is to approach the situation as early as possible by detoxing (mother and baby), healing the trauma and healing the gut (there is always gut damage in autism). Focus on detoxifying through fat mobilization may be quite off-base. Heavy metals are stored in nerve tissue, not fat cells--they need to be intentionally detoxified.

Traditional "early intervention: may have a role, but it primarily labels and assumes that healing is unattainable. That is clearly not true. I have seen very young infants with clear ASD indications completely recover through holistic healing and detox practices. So, I think the mom is right, and wrong. Keep breastfeeding but heal herself and her baby.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2