Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:10:33 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Stacy,
There are so many other problems that could have resulted in this outcome.  Breastfeeding is probably the least likely.  What is not surprising is that other health care professionals are trying to blame breastfeeding as the cause.  Research has shown that early feeding is positive for both the mother and the infant.  Certainly this incident should not lead to altering that opportunity for your patients.  
If you are feeling attacked, or fear that this will result in a negative outcome for early feedings, let me share a couple of things that have helped us when we have dealt with situations of this nature in our facility.  Our approach has been to come up with a response that is not argumentative, but thought provoking.  In our experience the moment you start arguing, you have lost.  Get your facts together, i.e. other possible causes, lack of definitive evidence (no autopsy), positive benefits of early attachement and be ready to make positive comments whenever it is being discussed.  I teach a course on personality and change and one of the major tenets in the course is that no one likes to be told they are wrong, and the moment you do, their position becomes something they will fight for.  Don't direct your comments towards the person you are speaking to, but instead direct them towards the situation.  Agree with them as much as you can with comments such as "This is a disturbing situation" or "I can see how this would have you concerned".  Those types of comments break down defenses and allow people to listen to your message.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Glenda Dickerson
B'ham, AL USA

----- Original Message ----- 
  To: Recipients of LACTNET digests 
  Sent: Monday, February 23, 2004 10:49 PM
  Subject: LACTNET Digest - 23 Feb 2004 - Special issue (#2004-306)

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2