Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 16:09:11 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
In Saskatchewan, Canada, we recently had a Human Rights complaint resolved in the complainants favour.  The woman and her three-month-old nursling had been turned out of a Weight Watcher's meeting.  The Human Rights Commission found that there was a justified complaint on these basis:
sexual discrimination againt the mother (only women can breastfeed), and the baby's right to nourishment and right to be with its mother.

I also attempted to bring my nursing child with me to business meetings that I had to attend.  In thinking through and discussing this situation with others, my stand was that in attending the meetings, the baby and I should be held accountable to the same standard of behaviour as any other human being.

That is, if the baby is loud or disruptive, we would leave the meeting room, just the same as if someone else was having a coughing fit, or hiccups, uncontrolled giggling, extreme flatulance, etc, would be expected to step out of the meeting room.  So as long as the baby is quiet, and still, what's the problem?

Janice Reynolds
Founder, Moms for Milk Breastfeeding Consumer Advocacy Network

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2