Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 10:58:05 PST
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (12 lines)
Australian Lactnetters, I have just read this morning (Fri 15 Jan 99) in "The Australian" newspaper that the Young Liberal Party (which is the younger members of the Liberal Party - the ruling party in Australia at present) is having a convention to debate such issues as ON THE SPOT FINES FOR BREASTFEEDING IN PUBLIC !!!!!!!!
I have just e-mailed the main party headquarters in horror. Their web site where you can express your views  is
www.qld.liberal.org.au/say.htm
I think they need some Lactnet pressure to be exerted ASAP as the conference is this weekend.
I sent this message this morning.

" I was appalled to read in the Australian (15/1/99) that the YLP is even considering on the spot fines for breastfeeding in public.  I can only hope that this was the media stirring the pot as I cannot believe that in 1999 a group of supposedly highly educated and well informed young people could be so ignorant.  Check your party demographics as you will find that (unfortunately) it is the intelligent well educated  mothers from the higher socio-economic bracket that have the highest rates of breastfeeding - your Liberal heartland.  I am among thousands of health and community workers across the world who work tirelessly to promote breastfeeding as the optimum in appropriate infant nutrition.  There is far too much scientific evidence to list here that proves that human milk is best for human babies.  I read yesterday that leading politicians are aiming to approach the youth delinquency and criminal behaviour problem by intervening at crucial points in child development.  There is well documented evidence that breastfeeding improves outcomes for childrens cognitive development.  The World Health Organisation recommends breastfeeding for up to 2 years of age and beyond.  Are the YLP planning to keep women who adhere to this advice locked in their houses for two years? Perhaps we  should supply them with a black veil to cover their faces as well?  Numerous studies have shown incredible financial benefits for the health system (not to mention the outstanding health advantages to the children - another political issue recently) if all Australian children were breastfed, even just for six months.  Perhaps your health minister and health policy makers should make breastfeeding a priority instead of allowing the Youth party to debate issues akin to the ignorant rantings of the One Nation Party, which are an embarrassment to the Liberal Party globally."

Dr Kim Short MBBS IBCLC
Brisbane , Queensland
AUSTRALIA

ATOM RSS1 RSS2