Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2007 14:21:34 +0300
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Hi All,
I am working with someone similar to Jennifer's case.  This baby is also a passive eater - never really latches on just plays at the breast and fortunately comes away with a mouth and belly full of milk. She is two months old and despite being the daughter of my neighbor and dear friend, the mother only asked for help a few days ago.  Baby has been growing well but has always been "fussy" at the breast, according to mom.  We tried better positioning but it made no difference. Baby does do better in side lying.  In fact the mother can only "really" feed her if she is lying down but even then she is on and off and gets especially fussy as she should be falling asleep peacefully at the end of a feed. I then tried to check the baby's suck but she wouldn't suck my finger at all - not one suck.  She does not have a short gag reflex.  Her palate seems a bit high.  Baby won't suck a pacifier either.  We tried to do some pacifier tug of war with a big bulbous pacifier but baby offered very little resistance.  Mom says that she prefers the larger size flat pacifier but even with that she doesn't really suck.  Mom tried giving her some ebm by bottle, Avent nipple, and baby couldn't manage it.  In all other ways this baby seems fine.  Unlike the baby that Jennifer is working with, I can not say that this baby is tongue tied.  Tongue seems normal just disorganized. maybe a bit fuller than usual.  I'd love to have it evaluated by the dentist that I refer people to for clipping, but it is a long drive and expense.  Five years ago the same neighbor was nursing twins and had the same problem with one of them.  Interestingly, it is the other twin who needed speech therapy.  I don't know how to continue with this baby, tongue evaluation, speech language pathologist, CST......
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Mom gave me permission to post.

Thanks in advance,
Chayn in Israel

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2