Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 2010 17:57:28 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
As a nurse, I guess I have a different slant on this subject. Since this is a *paid* position and women are coming to WIC for support and advice...I think it is inappropriate to bring one's own children to the "office". I know for me, if I was taking care of my child while at work, it would be very distracting.  I can see how it could interfere with my care and could cause frustration for the mom I was trying to assist. So many times, breastfeeding moms just need someone to listen and really hear them, it would be very hard to give my complete attention to a client if I was interrupted. I know just talking on the phone from home (to a neighbor having breastfeeding issues)...has been difficult when my children want my attention. 

I understand the liability issue. One, if the PC's child/children were to sustain an injury while she was working with a breastfeeding mother, WIC could be held liable (even though employees SAY they would never sue their place of employment, it happens all of the time). Two, as someone already stated, children are little germ carriers and I wouldn't want to expose my child or a client's child unnecessarily.

Just my 2 cents!
Marie Ivey, RN,BSN,LCCE,CLC 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2