Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 2009 10:15:46 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (40 lines)
I have had these and seen them.  The literature regarding them says NOT for pregnant or nursing women.  I haven't seen marketing for this in the US> The same effect can be obtained by cutting the tip off of a 20 cc syringe, reversing the "plunger" and pulling out the nipple before latch.    

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Foley, Mary
Sent: Saturday, July 25, 2009 9:49 AM
Subject: Nipplette

Just wanted to share with you all that I have been seeing a mom that used the Avent Nipplette (I have no connection w/ this manufacturer, financial or otherwise) for what she described as inverted nipples.

I saw her w/in an hour of cesarean birth.  She had been wearing the Nipplette for a few months, up to 8 hours per day.  She had put the Nipplette on just prior to me assisting her w/ the first feeding.  Her nipples were erect.  The baby latched easily and nursed well.

It appeared that her nipples had been inverted, as I noted on the next day that w/o the Nipplette, the nipples began to slowly sink back into the breast, and invert.  Mom is from Turkey, slight language barrier, but when asked if her nipples had been "flat," she clearly stated, "No, not flat; inverted."

So far baby is nursing exclusively and well, (< 24 hours of age), and mom has no nipple pain.  She is VERY happy as her goal is to nurse for 1 year.  She told me that because of her inverted nipples she had been more worried about breastfeeding than about birth.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has had recent experience w/ the Nipplette, and if this is something that anyone is recommending to moms prenatally. 

Thanks,
Mary Foley RN BSN IBCLC
Melrose, MA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2