Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2005 08:48:13 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Hello, All.
   I've been skimming through some of the posts about this.  (I've been off Lactnet way too long, but just not enough time lately!)  I'd like to add a thought, and apologies if this has been stated by someone else in a post I haven't caught up on yet.
   As someone posted several days ago, Playtex reps report that the max suction when used as a single pump is 228 mm Hg.  But when used as a double pump, the max suction is only 176 mm Hg.
   I frequently have moms in my office who want to purchase a replacement part for a used Pump In Style, such as a replacement transformer because a wire broke.  (No flames please.  I know the PNS should not be shared, and I explain the risks to moms, but these women shared without asking.)  Often, the woman I am talking to is number 3, 4 or 6 (!) to use that particular pump.  Anyway, as I explain that the motor was not meant for long-term use by multiple users, I also offer to check the suction level on the pump.  Frequently, the pump is only running at 160-180 mm at max, instead of the 200-220 it should be at.  As they watch the gauge, and I explain what it ought to be looking like, the universal comment is, "Do you think that's why I can't pump enough milk?  I thought it was just me."
   These women thought the pump they were using was great, because it emptied the storage areas of their breasts so the breasts softened nicely, and these moms have no idea of the actual mechanism of milk production.  And they had never used a *new* pump, so had nothing to compare with.  Yet when they then buy a new pump, they almost universally let me know that now they are able to pump a lot more for their babies.
   So when I learned that the Playtex only has 176 mm max suction when used as a double, and I know that most moms who pay $300 US for a pump intend to double-pump, I figure it's best to just stay away from this pump.  
   Dee Kassing

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2