Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2008 06:37:36 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Yes, this happened to my sister with her first child.  In her case, it turned out she had some kind of a hormonal imbalance and she had some male pattern hair growth and her voice went a bit lower immediately following the pregnancy.  Also she had no breast changes during pregnancy.  The first 2 or 3 days she had her baby on the breast all the time (unmedicated hospital birth, home in a bout 24 hours) and on day 4 my mum went out and bought formula b/c they could apparently hear the baby's tummy growling and she was starting to become really fussy and hadn't had a lot of elimination.  My sister did the brewer's yeast and Reglan and any other remedy for low supply that she or her friends/doctor could come up with and none of them did a thing.  It wasn't low supply - there was absolutely no milk there at all.  My niece was born 20 days before Christmas.  I found out years later, that the day after Christmas, exactly 3 weeks post partum, with no breast stimulation following about day 8 (she continued to try to nurse for a few more days after she started giving formula), her milk suddenly came in with abundance.  She & her husband talked about whether she should try to put the baby to the breast (I would have), but she had already gone through the disappointment of not having milk initially and she didn't want to go through the disappointment of having milk and being unable to teach her baby how to latch b/c it had been too long and baby didn't know what to do.  I suspect if she had put baby to breast and succeeded in latching, my niece would've been a happily breastfed baby.  With her second baby, 3 1/2 years later, she had normal breast changes during pregnant and she had no problems at all with her milk coming in within a few days of the birth and she successfully breastfed for 9 months and then weaned b/w 9  - 12 months in preparation for going back to working 12 hour shifts (she's a RN). 

So the short of all that is, yes, it's been heard of although my sister is the only person I know personally who's had no milk early post partum and then out of the blue had it come in three weeks after the birth!

Margo

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2