Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2007 14:22:21 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Dear Friends:

Today I gave a presentation to a group of endocrinology fellows about the connection between formula feeding, obesity/overweight and diabetes. They were an ideal audience, attentive, thoughtful and polite. (I am always a bit anxious about talking to an audience of physicians, but so far now, each time has been fabulous.)

Several people wondered about a baby's ability to self-regulate intake if the baby is ingesting mother's milk in a bottle. There are studies (Fisher, J Am Diet Assoc. 2000 Jun;100(6):641-6 
¡Possible mechanisms include learned self-regulation of energy intake, metabolic programming in early life, and residual confounding by parental attributes.  JHL 2003 19(1):9-18  and "Does maternal control during feeding moderate early infant weight gain?"PEDIATRICS Vol. 118 No. 2 August 2006, pp. e293-e298 (doi:10.1542/peds.2005-2919 .............to name but a few)

that talk about this learned self-regulation as a protective factor against obesity/overweight.

I don't know that anyone has looked at mother's milk in a bottle and infant self-regulation. I speculated that a mother returning to school or paid employment will breastfeed before she goes back, and will breastfeed at night and on weekends so that might mitigate the impact of using a bottle. But I do not know for certain about this. 

Does anyone?
warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CIMI, CCE

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2