Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2010 10:27:06 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (43 lines)
Does mum have a fast flow?  My second child was a bit like this and I wondered whether the fast flow meant that there wasn't a lot of sucking going on which in turn decreased peristaltic movement.  As she got older, it turned around.
This might also tie in with the attachment issues - shallow attachment to prevent getting *hosed*.

Just some thoughts from personal experience,

Anita
ABA Counsellor, Australia

On 21/10/2010, at 10:22 AM, beth mcmillan wrote:

> Hi all
> 
> Need some wisdom, permission to post.  2nd time mom, 2yr old at home but lots of help and support.  2yr old not nursing, weaned early due to supply issues (?).  This new baby, a girl now about 5wks old,  is gaining like gaingbusters and is a fairly content kid.  Latch was quite shallow and mom was tender - fixed that up but baby is very frequent feeder (every hour and a half around the clock.  Baby is happy with this but mom is not!  Discussed normal newborn biology and behaviour, supply good at this time, baby takes one breast per feed and stays on for ~10min and no amount of 'encouragement' from mom can get her to take the other side.  I can teach around this stuff, mom knows what to look for in terms of supply issues just in case, etc, etc, etc,  For what it is worth 3 test weighs show intake of about 2 oz/feed consistently.  What my question is really about is poops and pukes.  This baby has since the age of about 1wk had very few poops.  She is somewhat a spitter upper as well.  Mom describes the spit ups as hitting the wall.  Baby is showing no pain with these events.  Mom is most concerned because the spit up is quite yellowish - I haven't seen it but mom says it is yellow and that she (mom) is bothered by this.  The very few poops (like maybe a couple per week instead of a couple per day) and the spitting is telling me this kiddo has a gut motility issue and is cleverly eating/nursing to control her discomfort.  She is really a lovely rolly polly baby but mom is getting fed up - would you 'do' anything?  Midwives not concerned about the lack of poop due to great weight gain, doc is now offering reflux meds.  Have discussed diet with mom (typical, would be considered 'good' by many).  I have thoughts of what is next but would love to have some input from you all to see how on track I am, what I am missing, etc.
> 
> Thanks so much.
> 
> beth
> Beth McMillan IBCLC/LLLL
> Ottawa
> (sorry for the cross posts to Lactnet and Canadian IBCLCs)
> 
>             ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2