Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 2011 15:39:47 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (72 lines)
The last dyad I saw with this problem did not have a dairy allergy.  It was blood from the mother.  She had an infection 

of the ducts caused by Staph and Candida.  SO if this mother has any burning breast pain, put the baby back immediately and 

get the mother cultured and treated.  Mothers can also just break a ductal blood vessel for no obvious reason. 

They can test the blood to see if it is infant or mother's blood.  I am not clear on why this test was not 

done?!  Was it frank blood or bloody breastmilk?  Did the infant have a low hemaglobin from it or was the baby symptomatic in any 

other way? If it was just bloody breastmilk and the infant had no other symptoms I would resume some limited breastfeeding like twice a 

day and see what happens.  

As for cutting out dairy to loose weight,  it never worked for me.  Also,  she will not have to eliminate for the entire time she nurses

usually only until the 3-4 month. Then she should only ingest minimally until she can gage the baby's response. 

Mom can also be treated with pancreatic enzymes when she wants to eat dairy to minimize symptoms.  

If this infant is truly allergic to dairy.  Then the infant should not be fed any dairy products until atl least 2 years of age and

possibly not until 5 years.  So, if dietary changes need to made then the family will have to accommodate the baby anyway--they might as well 

start now.  If they do not follow the recommendation to eliminate dairy for the infant--likely the baby will begin having ear and/or sinus infections as

well as the skin problems. Both of which made my life miserable even though there was no dairy and they were breastfed until it was no longer  

socially acceptable.  I can't imagine how much worse it would have been without the benefit of my milk.  

Christine Betzold NP CLC MSN
www.theBFclinic.com
714-269-9879

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2