Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2007 13:07:23 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
This thread is getting kind of long, so briefly this baby has been receiving plenty of dairy products (yogurt, cheese), so mom is obviously no against cow´s milk and the baby is also not allergic to cow´s milk so... no point in complicating things.
Happy New Year to All!

Daniela
Daniela Torres Marco MS, RD, IBCLCPediatric DietitianBoard Certified Lactation Consultant> Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 14:56:23 +0000> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: [LACTNET] Cow milk (was thread about almond milk)> To: [log in to unmask]> > Finally, the post I can springboard on to say what I wanted to add to > this thread.> > Whilst not undermining in anyway the excellent posts made about the > dairy industry etc (who, after all, brought us formula), I do think some > sense of our own past is important here. There where many communities > that only survived deprivation in their hostile geographies, by > consuming milk and milk products. There are still many communities in > the world today, barely surviving thanks to goats and sheep milk. Every > Winter Excess Ritual, one of my son's presents, is a goat.> > We don't keep the goat, obviously - we buy one for Africa, or wherever > Oxfam thinks best to send it. One goat can lift a family out of > starvation and several goats can find the resources to send a child to > school.> > http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/ProductDetails.aspx?catalog=Unwrapped&product=OU2653> > When I visited the Highlands of Scotland for the first time last year, > and found myself in the Highland Folk Museum > http://highlandfolk.museum/newtonmore-township.php, and saw for myself > the stone age living conditions that the people of the Highlands endured > up to the 18th Century, I was shocked to my core. For it wasn't at all > romantic, and was very very harsh, and a level of poverty and > deprivation that I'd fondly thought was not part of UK life for a lot > longer back than this (there was a reason so many Highlanders left for > the New World, and stone age living conditions in was one part of it.) > It was also utterly dependent on milk - sheep and goats: milk was life > for whole townships. Goats and sheep can take inedible scrub, and turn > it into life saving milk. If all you have is inedible scrub most of the > year, this is A Good Thing.> > Comparing all milks to what is being produced by the dairy industry, and > condemning them all equally as part of the human diet, is to do a > disservice to the humble goat and sheep, who are still keeping many > adult humans alive. There is a reason why many of us are completely > tolerant of milk in adulthood - we've adapted to survive on what was > available through the generations of our ancestors who were dependent > upon it as a staple of their diet. If we'd stayed gatherer/hunters in > the warm forests of our genesis, we'd be healthier - but there ain't > that many warm forests around and a lot more of us than can be supported > by gathering/hunting! We're biologically evolving slower than we need > to, for our intellectual evolution rate, sure, but it is an ongoing > process. :-) And I like medicine and cars and stuff. I have a lot of > 'stuff 'that ain't compatible for gathering/hunting. We're humans - we > ALWAYS want more!> > When discussing beef, we do differentiate between prime, well hung steak > and hamburger from fast food junk sources. Milk requires the same > distinction, and not to be condemned outright for all the evils of the > food tree. :-)> > Just my never humble opinion... and my awareness that my family was milk > dependent for survival in quite recent history.> > Morgan Gallagher> > Christina wrote:> > Joy... I appreciated your post and your information. I know I am opening up> > a whole new "can of worms" here, but I did want to comment that there is> > also a vast difference between raw milk and pasteurized/homogenized milk.> > No, I am not making the suggestion that someone feed raw milk to their child> > (although I do). I'm simply making the statement that there are many> > nutritional differences in milk that hasn't had its fat cells crushed under> > pressure and that hasn't had all the natural probiotics destroyed by heat.> > I do not ever feed my children pasteurized or homogenized milk as I feel> > that it is quite unhealthy. But I think raw milk is actually very healthy,> > provided it comes from a reputable source. I don't want a debate to ensue> > over this, I simply wanted to bring attention to the differences.> >> > Christina Harris, RN> > Federal Way, WA> >> > O> > ***********************************************> > Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]> COMMANDS:> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome> 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2