Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 2009 20:15:08 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
Hi Virginia,
I wouldn't equate "infant feeding" with "breastfeeding" but I would like to see a lot more research on "infant feeding" rather than just breastfeeding. Frankly we know bugger all about how women use formula (or other breastmilk replacements).
Karleen Gribble
Australia

Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 9:22 AM
To: [log in to unmask] 
Cc: [log in to unmask] 
Subject: Terminology (infant feeding, feeding, teat, artificial nipple, mouthpiece)

Hi,

While I can see merit in Karleen's suggestion of equating the term "infant feeding" with breastfeeding, we do need a generic term that covers anything at all that is fed to an infant.  That is, whether the baby is breastfed (directly from the mother or another woman), bottle-fed breast milk, artificially fed, or given complementary food after 6 months.  I agree we need to use a term that differentiates types of feeding that aren't natural, whether we are talking about commercially packaged artificial baby milks or traditional artificial feeding (diluted or undiluted animal milks, cereal-based preparations, arrowroot-based foods).  I thought of "sub-optimal infant feeding", but I don't think that would take off.  The book distributed to all new mothers in the post-World War II period in Queensland, Mother & Child, titled its chapter about substitutes, "Artificial or Unnatural Feeding".  (Curiously, this was at a time when mother-books by a leading manufacturer of artificial feeding products were distributed to new mothers, too.)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2