Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2012 12:35:42 +0000
Content-Type:
multipart/alternative
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (2511 bytes)
I moderate a board for working and pumping moms, so this is periodically a topic of discussion.  In my own experience, once milk is flowing, it provides sufficient lubrication to prevent rubbing.  If a mom routinely feels chafed, first check flange fit, also suction strength.  Pumping should not hurt on an ongoing basis, just as nursing shouldn't!!  If there is mild irritation just at pumping initiation, then  Olive oil on the inside of the flange can help, and personally I would prefer something intended  for consumption (rather than lanolin) being used on a daily basis for pumping.  Another alternative is angled flanges (eg pumpin pals).  I switched to these with my second working and pumping experience, and wish I had had them the first time!  No sharp angle to chafe.

If this is in the hospital, I think rather than focus on routinely providing a preventative to every mom, it would be more important to be sure moms have appropriate flange size and know how to adjust the pump suction. Deal with discomfort if it arises, rather than add yet another product mom "has to have" to make pumping work.

BTW, lanolin is generally pretty sticky ... Would not be my first choice for lubrication in any case!!!

Spencer Joslin, MD and Breastfeeding USA Counselor

Sent from Xfinity Mobile App

On Jun 22, 2012, at 11:03 AM, "Duret, Anne" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> A question about whether "to lube or not to lube" prior to pumping.  I seem to be the odd duck out at our hospital who discourages use of lanolin for pumping.  In my experience, it just makes the nipple/areola slippery and causes the flanges to slide around and come off-center.  The other LC's and nurses seem to feel that some lubrication is indicated as there is not a moist mouth providing the lubrication.  
>> What say you all?  And is the recommendation different for long-term pumpers?  Are the nipples really at risk of cracking if they are not lubricated prior to pumping?  
>> Anne Duret, RN IBCLC
> Sacred Heart River Bend
> Springfield, Oregon  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2