Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 2010 10:59:38 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
"I would say that many of my families want clear distinctions in feeding times, with a definitive time 'off' in between."

Hi Casey,
Maybe North America is a very much more different place from here than I realize but isn't anyone able to explain to these mothers that a) their babies are unwell;  b) their babies need breastmilk to get well;  c) what needs to happen for the next 48hrs is frequent feeding/expressing and constant skin to skin - this will give your baby his/her best chance of getting well  d) You'll need to sleep whenever you are not feeding for the next couple of days  e) this will pass 
When my health care provider tells me that my child needs his medication QiD, I set the alarm to wake me at midnight and 6 am to administer it.  When I ask if there are any alternatives that don't require my waking in the night, my doc explains that the alternatives are less effective and have unpleasant side effects.  Therefore I get up at midnight for 10 days running ... is it not the same with feeding an infant?  If mothers have the information, will they not do what has to be done?
I also wonder if it is really a mother problem or a staff problem?  Amongst the mothers I have worked with, it would be very rare for one of them to refuse their babies this care when presented by health care providers as necessary.  Is it that the staff are not prepared to present frequent feeding as a necessary treatment protocol?  Is it that staff perceive that they don't have the time to 'supervise' all these feeds?  Is it that everyone sees breastfeeding as optional and formula feeding as completely without risk?  Is there a need for an information sheet outlining the risks associated with artificial supplementation?
Trying to get my head around this ...
Nina Berry
Australia  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2