Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2017 05:51:24 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Forgot to mention though that I thought it was a bit too strict on the times. But overall good information on that Canadian handout. I think it's important to differentiate between occasional use and chronic, heavy use. Here is a more recent study that feels these standards are too strict.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/bcpt.12149/full

"Alcohol is excreted into breast milk in concentrations similar to those in maternal blood, which means that the amount of alcohol ingested by the children through breast milk is a fraction of the amount ingested by the mothers. Assuming the worst possible scenario where a mother engages in binge drinking and ingests four drinks of 12 g pure alcohol and then breastfeeds her child at the time of the maximum blood alcohol concentration, the child would still not have a blood alcohol level of more than 0.005%. It appears biologically implausible that occasional exposure to such amounts should be related to clinically meaningful effects to the nursing children. The effect of occasional alcohol consumption on milk production is small, temporary and unlikely to be of clinical relevance. Generally, there is little clinical evidence to suggest that breastfed children are adversely affected in spite of the fact that almost half of all lactating women in Western countries ingest alcohol occasionally."

And another article about it:

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/the_kids/2014/12/breast_feeding_and_alcohol_it_s_fine_to_drink_while_nursing.html

I think I'm not very comfortable though with the idea of saying to moms, Ok - go ahead and drink. I usually remind them that breastfeeding with a hangover is no fun and I think the more dangerous thing is someone taking care of a baby in an impaired state. I usually still tell them wait at least 2 hours after each drink. 

Salud!

Tricia Shamblin, RN, IBCLC

Date:    Sun, 11 Jun 2017 09:39:39 -0400

Subject: Re: alcohol in breastmilk

Thanks for the handout! Useful for all of us.  Pat in SNJ

Patricia Young

[log in to unmask]

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2