Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 2010 11:55:23 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Thanks for all the replies.   

But insurance covering the extra time in the hospital isn't a problem in a military hospital...at least I've never heard that.  We do real family centered care and moms room in unless there just isn't a room to spare.

Perhaps I need to write to the AAP and ask them if they intended for a baby who exhibits the ability to suck swallow and breath while eating by an alternative feeding method such as fingerfeeding to be put on a bottle at discharge because for whatever reason that baby will not go to breast.  Dr.  Christina Smillie tells us you can't force a baby onto the breast.  Sometimes the problem is mom, sometimes it's the baby and sometimes it was the birth process.  BUT to hand a mom bottles???????????  The AAP endorses the Ten Steps....step 9, no artificial nipples or pacifiers to newborns. 

Bottom line... You can't discharge a baby fingerfeeding?  Because it's not an acceptable feeding method while a mom is working on getting a baby to the breast.  As an IBCLC I was trained that it was.  We need to tell her to bottle feed?!
Unless she is really dedicated to breastfeeding it's one step closer to just putting formula in those bottles.  At least that is the reason Medela's advertising their bottle nipples caused them so much trouble.

Except for Saturday and Sunday, our moms have free access to IBCLCs...FREE as in no cost and there are 4 of us available to outpatients.

Again...thank you.  But if the bottom line is...just give bottles, teach paced bottle feeding.  Just tell me.  I thought the idea was for medical facilities to go Baby-Friendly...and that means to follow the Ten Steps! 

Linda Bubeck IBCLC, RLC
In the Carolinas

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2