Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:23:43 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
 Nikki Lee
>
>  Recommending a specific medication would be prescribing.
>

And if one says "You can ask your doctor if medication X would be a choice in your situation", would that be prescribing too?

I find the discussions on this topic always very fascinating - and it seems to me everyone has her - or his - own idea about what would be prescribing.

In a discussion on this topic with the doctor I am working with she says that it really comes to a "level" of prescribing. Suggesting a patient or a nursing mom follow a specific regimen for her situation is prescribing a course of action and healing almost as much as if you prescribe medications and it requires monitoring just like prescribing medication.

I find it really confusing though - suggesting herbals for increasing milk supply without being a certified naturopath or herbalist seems inappropriate too. The same is with homeopathy - although I can recite as well as my own name Jenifer Tow's list of homeopathic remedies for mastitis in potencies that are considered ok for self-prescribing and it has proven really useful (thank you!) with the number of moms already using homeopathy that I have worked with, this is actually considered prescribing homeopathic remeies without being a certified homeopath (and in my country only a doctor can be a certified homeopath!), is it not.

So it really seems to come to the level of prescribing one is allowed to do... an that's why it is so difficult to define. If only there were some rules... such as "you can suggest OTC's or homeopathic remedies below 30 C or herbals with GRAS status"...

a quite frustrated Christina Yaneva,
BF Peer Councellor
Bulgaria

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2