Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2018 09:53:39 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (148 lines)
Hi Sally,

We have come across this multiple times in the hospital where I work.  The American College of Radiology has a good statement.  One place it can be found (from infant risk.com) https://www.infantrisk.com/sites/default/files/files/Radiocontrast%20Breastfeeding.pdf

The important thing to remember is that it is a *contrast* dye, meaning they need it to *not* be absorbed so that they can see the contrast where they are looking.  That, in turn, means (according to the ACR) only extremely small amounts (less than 1%) *might* be absorbed into the mother's system and only 1% of that (according to the ACR) of that would find its way into the mammary tissue.

Cindy Garrison BS IBCLC

practicing in Pittsburgh, PA

> On January 11, 2018 at 12:00 AM LACTNET automatic digest system wrote:
> 
> 
>     There are 3 messages totaling 110 lines in this issue.
> 
>     Topics of the day:
>     1. MRI (2) 2. Staph aureus on nipples
> 
>     Lactnet Archives are at:
>     LACTNET Archives http://community.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html
>     To Manage your Subscription, ie go nomail, index, etc, go to:
>     http://community.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html
> 
>     Thanks!
> 
>     LACTNET Facilitators
>     Kathleen B. Bruce RN, BSN, IBCLC
>     Rachel Myr, midwife, IBCLC
>     Kathy Koch PhD
>     Linda Pohl
>     Karleen Gribble PhD
>     Norma Ritter, IBCLC
>     Nina Berry PhD
> 
>     Questions to [log in to unmask] mailto:[log in to unmask] .com
> 
>     ***********************************************
> 
>     Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
>     To reach list owners: [log in to unmask] mailto:[log in to unmask] .com
>     Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask] mailto:[log in to unmask] .com
>     COMMANDS:
>        1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
>        2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
>        3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
>        4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome
> 
> 
> 
>     ---------------------------------------------
> 
>     Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 14:22:13 +0000
>     From: sally etheridge
>     Subject: MRI
> 
>     A mother has just contacted me because she has to have an MRI scan to c heck her heart. She had a letter from the hospital to say she will need to refrain from breastfeeding for 48 hours following the procedure. I can't find any evidence to support this, and haven't come across this before. Has anyone else?
> 
> 
>     Sally Etheridge IBCLC
>     Programme Lead
>     Leicester Mammas CIC
>     07580159278
> 
> 
>     Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask] mailto:[log in to unmask] .com
>     COMMANDS:
>        1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
>        4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome
> 
> 
> 
> 
>     Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 11:16:09 -0500
>     From: Kim Kuopus
>     Subject: Staph aureus on nipples
> 
>     Hi all!
> 
>     Excuse the ignorance of my question... PTP I have a pt I thought had yeast on her nipples, cultured the nipples for verification. Culture came back positive for staph aureus. Mom is now panicky and wanting to quit breastfeeding. I put her on Mupirocin cream. She has no abscess, no systemic symptoms, no breast pain. Nipples are red, slightly shiny with white curds.... She is asking me questions I do not know the answer to. I did some research and am not finding the answers I need. She has concerns of transferring staph aureus to her infant. Since it is on her own skin I stated she may have transferred it to her infant, who is one month old. Infant is healthy with no ill symptoms. I explained to her the prevalence of staph aureus in the community. I discussed pumping and not breastfeeding until nipples are healed. She had concerns of staph aureus being in her breastmilk, I offered to culture her milk. She has declined at this time. She would like a systemic antibiotic instead of topical mupirocin. I explained that since she is symptom free, no fevers, abscesses etc an antibiotic is not indicated at this time. She asked about feeding her freshly EBM to her infant. I can't find much info on this? I feel the acidity of the gut and the antimicrobial properties of the milk would decrease the amount of staph her infant would be exposed to? I thought possibly freezing the milk for a time period would kill some of the staph if she was really concerned? Does flash pasteurizing kill staph? I do not know these answers and after some searches am not finding concrete answers. So, any info related to this case greatly appreciated!
> 
>     Also, where else do you go to find evidence based answers to breastfeeding questions? I use UpToDate which is not rich in breastfeeding resources, Lactnet, and google scholar for peer reviewed articles....
> 
>     Thanks! This site IS rich in breastfeeding answers and I thank you all who share their wisdom for all to benefit.
>     Kim Kuopus FNP, IBCLC
> 
> 
>     COMMANDS:
> 
> 
> 
> 
>     Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 11:30:15 -0500
>     From: Patricia Young
>     Subject: Re: MRI
> 
>     Need to know what contrast they are using. Pat in SNJ
> 
> 
> 
> 
>     COMMANDS:
> 
> 
> 
> 
>     End of LACTNET Digest - 8 Jan 2018 to 10 Jan 2018 (#2018-11)
>     ************************************************************
> 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2