Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 2010 13:21:33 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
I haven't seen a response to this.  I'm not 100% certain b/c I'm a Navy wife, not an active duty mother.  My understanding is that if one separates (as opposed to retires after the minimum 20 years required for retirement), they do not continue their medical benefits.  I *think*.  My husband retired after 20 years of service a few years ago and we were given the option of paying a premium to continue TriCare coverage (and at $485/year for a family of four or more with limited copays and meds covered 100% on base of $3 copay if they aren't available on base, we weren't about to turn it down although I will say they didn't cover my home-births so we did pay out of pocket for that but opted to have prenatal care with an OB since that is 100% covered with no copay).  So a mother who chooses to separate (be discharged) would not continue with the military's health care plan.  Again, that's my understanding.  I know my SIL (Robyn Roche-Paull) is still on TriCare b/c her husband is active duty so that's why she is continuing to get benefits - not b/c they continued to provide them to her after she was discharged a year after her first child's birth.  If one chooses to remain in the Reserves (drill one weekend a month and a 2-week stint of duty annually or something along those lines), then I believe medical benefits continue.  This info is gleaned from talking with other military moms and info we went over when my husband was preparing for retirement from the Navy so there's a chance I've misunderstood or in the years since having these conversations with friends & my husband's retirement, things have changed.

Margo

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2