Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:56:43 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
Dear all

I have been thinking about this a lot recently and have been spurred on by the frequency with which I am hearing from the USA "pump and dump" and seeing reference to workplace support for nursing mothers confined to pumps and fridges.

Pumping and breastfeeding are quite different. Other contributors have pointed out the issue of contact etc, but I think there is a difference in the composition of the milk obtained by the baby, as well as the supply.

In terms of composition, the milk ejection reflex may be different with a pump and if so it is likely that the type of milk produced may be different. In terms of supply, the mother may have a difficulties maintaining a consistent and even supply. Also the way in which the baby feeds gets its milk may be different - the trigger to feed is different with a bottle or cup than a breast, and so in turn fat content may change. Of course this may all even out over a 24 hours period - we all know about working mums who pump away and then still have to stay up all night feeding the baby - this may be the baby catching up on something that it is missing (and this may be more than just contact)

I have had a long chat with Peter Hartman on this issue today and we may be able to track down some articles after Easter. Meanwhile I would love to hear from any of the you that have any more information on this. 

I think it is particularly important to work this one out.

Happy Easter everyone -

Mary E Black
Professor of Public Health 
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine
North Queensland Clinical School
Cairns QLD 4870 Australia

Tel (61) 740 503670 Fax (61) 740 534122
email [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2