Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2012 12:40:56 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
I know that many Lactnetters are working in hospital settings, so I'm hoping that someone here may be able to help me. As a mother of a baby born with a cleft lip and palate, I get contacted both through my LLL work and as through parenting groups by mothers of babies born with CLP. Lately I have been hearing many sad stories of newborns with CLP being fed via nasal gastric tubes without first attempting to feed the baby orally.

Breastfeeding is already difficult for mothers of babies with CLP. An unecessary nasal gastric tube and weeks or more hospitalisation is just a cruel complication.

I have been searching on the internet and have come up with nothing that resembles a protocol that reccomends when to use a nasal gastric tube (in the case of oral clefts or not). A pediatrician I spoke with remarked that it's just common knowledge that cleft babies don't generally require nasal gastric tubes.

I'm wondering wether other countries may have protocols regulating nasal gastric tube use that I could publicise here in Italy?

Alice Farrow
LLL Leader, Rome. Italy

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2