Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 17:19:50 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
I also helped a mom with bloody stools recently, and learned a lot in the process!
Bloody stools usually start with oversupply or OMER.  The lowfat content of foremilk is what 
causes it to make such a rapid transit through the intestines.  At that point the lactose which didn't digest further up
ferments in the lower intestine with gobs of bacteria.  This is when the gut becomes friable and the bloody stools occur.  So even if
mom doesn't have oversupply or OMER now, she may have at some point.  Once the gut becomes damaged, that's when the foreign food proteins have a big open door to walk through.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that "lactose overload" doesn't
seem to occur in it's own right but rather as a result of something else.  Same goes for bloody stools.
     It is also my understanding that when using hypoallergenic formula (exclusively) for these babies there's a good chance
that the bloody stools may come back.  Once the gut is already damaged in this fashion, they tend to do well for a couple
of weeks and then the blood comes back once mom's production is already shot to hell.  Breastfeeding management and
rotation diet seems to work better than the formula for many moms and babies. 
     Someone else already mentioned digestive enzymes.  The BAB suggests using pancrease MT4 (two with each meal and one
with each snack) in order to break down the mom's food more thoroughly.  Having the mom take some vitamin E and using vegetable oils in cooking can also help increase transfer of Vit. E to the baby in order to promote gut healing on his end.  
Using  probiotics and fish oil for nursing moms with highly allergic children also seems to reduce the effects.    
Not a clinician but just went through this with a mom.  Managing the oversupply, starting a rotation diet, and using the vitamin E
seemed to be the end of it.  
Elizabeth Howell, LLLL Queens, NY USA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2