Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2005 16:14:35 +1200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
I have had two clients over the last few years who have pumped long term for different reasons.  Their babies never achieved any sort of measurable breastfeeding.  One pumped for 18 months producing litres of milk. They even had to buy in a second freezer. If she skipped an overnight pumping she would get 800 mls off in the morning!  However this Mum had the advantage of breastfeeding long term before  with two other children so her supply was matching what had happened previously.  In other words, this was going to be a happening thing anyway!  The only comment she would make is changing over to a hand pump at about 9 - 10 months proved more effective.  Don't know why.  This was an avente pump.

Second client is still pumping at 6 months but with dwindling amounts now the baby is on solids. I think some women do struggle to produce good amounts once their periods return unless there is a demanding baby attached which says "get a move on".  Perhaps this is just this womans makeup and she will need to have support to come to terms with that.  It sounds like everything has been tried.  Would a dietitian be able to help with extra calories for the baby without compromising breastmilk intake?

I guess too, this baby will be using up a lot of energy just getting through his day.  I can only admire people who get through an experience like this.

karen Palmer
Midwife and breastfeeding supporter
New Zealand

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2