Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2011 19:25:06 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Our youngest daughter was in a high speed MVA when she was 8 and suffered severe abdominal trauma resulting in a profound drop in BP and subsequent reperfusion injury to her brain. We knew about the caudate nucleii being hemorrhaged but not about the rest of the brain (she suffered diffuse injury throughout her brain, we found out 11 years later).. the most profound result of this injury/insult to her brain was the emotional lability. She would scream if we touched her feet, if the dog barked, if both dogs barked, if she had a bath, if we took her out of the bath, if the phone rang, if we talked loudly, if we looked at her, if we didn't look at her. About 3 years later she lost her "brain injured look" as I called it, that panicked, deer in the headlights look if she slipped and fell (she did that alot due to some persistent tib anterior disability) or if she was startled. When I looked back on my mother's behavior as I grew up and then as an adult more recently (she had an aneurysm when I was 5 and numerous small strokes later) I see she exhibited the same behavior. It all made sense to me when I read Jill Bolte Taylor's book "My Stroke of Insight" (she can be heard on TED as well, speaking about this experience). I have to agree.. when the brain is irritated, behavior is very affected. In young children and babies, it translates as crying, neediness, clingy behavior, irritability, etc.. and it takes a while to heal. We were under the care of a very skilled homeopath and natural care physician, and were able to treat Jill using the remedies we were prescribed. Mag phos and cal phos helped dramatically, as Jill had nerves that were regenerating and caused her much pain but also they are calming. The most important thing for us all was having help in our household so that I could manage the day to day care of a child in rehab. Not having to worry about laundry and meals, getting rides to medical appointments, having friends help with shopping... these were invaluable as Jill needed me 24/7 for months... 

Hope this perspective helps. Mom might want to read "My Stroke of Insight" just to have a bit of understanding. Loud noises and bright lights were incredibly irritating for our daughter, for sure, as well as sudden movements.. recreating the womb can do a lot for healing..

On a positive note, our daughter recovered all her function except for those darned nerves to her tib anteriors so she has a persistent drop foot.. she is in College in BC studying to be a nurse, does yoga, hikes, has a great man friend who adores her and is an amazing, compassionate, funny, articulate woman.... the human brain has an amazing capacity to heal itself!!!!  

Much compassion for this mom..and so many great suggestions from others....

Celina D, LLLL, IBCLC 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2