Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 17:06:38 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (9 lines)
An update on the case I reported on last week, of the baby whose frenulum was clipped at mother's insistence, and who still was nursing sluggishly.  Baby is now being followed by well-baby clinic, who has been alerted that at age 19 days she still is 90 g under birthweight of 4 kg.  Weight gain has been increasing over past few days, prompting mother to purchase, of all things, a PACIFIER because "she just wants to suck all the time!".  This is a baby we have been despairing of ever getting eager enough to demand feed, and obviously our communication with mom has been ineffective.  I think there are other problems here besides a drowsy baby.  Mother steadfastly refuses to acknowledge that there are any problems whatsoever and continues to produce at least three times what baby will take though she reports a slight drop now.
FYI baby is being worked up for thyroid disorder as well.  My impression of this baby is that she is a typical baby of diabetic mother (she is) in that she is large and immature.  I tried to suggest to mother that the new eagerness on baby's part was just what she needed, didn't seem to penetrate.  Baby is gaining albeit slowly, and the PHN is capable of doing good, safe follow up so I am letting the ball leave my part of the court now.

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2