Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2008 19:02:30 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (46 lines)
 I think it is really important that LN members offer serious consideration before sharing posts from the list with their clients. A couple of months ago, I received? a phone call late at night from a mother who was incensed by my response to a question posted to LN by her LC about her situation. It was extremely disturbing and I was not very tolerant of the intrusion. When I post to LN in response to a query about a complex case, I like other LCs, am giving of my own personal time to assist a colleague. While I am always aware that anyone can read my posts, I am always directing my posts to a colleague, not a mother, as my intention is to be helpful both to my colleague and any other colleague who might one day search the archives for similar cases. 

On that particular night, I discovered that the mother's LC had simply forwarded all of the responses to her query directly to the mother unedited.  What was interesting is that every single person who posted had made exactly the same comments I had, and some sounded a lot more frustrated with the mother than mine did. I wondered if she had contacted all of us. The bottom line is that all of our advice was correct based upon the info as it was presented to us, but only the LC could present it properly to the mother within the context of the mother's experiences and level of receptivity. The LC was very apologetic when I contacted her and was not aware of the rules for copying posts. My personal policy is that if I want a colleague who is not on LN to see something posted on LN, I forward the link, but if I want to share info with a mother, I either paraphrase it or ask permission of the poster. While it may be nice to be able to show a client that your colleagues support your position, consideration to your colleagues must also be important. 

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network LLC

??? ??? 

What are the guidelines for copying and pasting pieces of LACTNET posts from
other LCs that contain information we'd like to impart to moms via email?

When searching the archives for information on various subjects, I often find 
posts that either exactly say what I want to convey to a mom or pieces of posts
that I'd like to cut and paste.  May I do that? Although I could, of course, 
just reword the info I find on LACTNET, it is, of course, time consuming and 
seems unnecessary to have to "reinvent the wheel" when the info is right there. 

Can I just give credit to the writer, i.e. "Below is a response from Sally Jones 
on the LACTNET email list..."  or just a general statement such as "an IBCLC on 
one of my lactation professional chat lists" states...

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2