Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2004 12:10:32 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
I have run into several adoptive moms lately who have said that they were told that a Lactina would be more effective than a Pump In Style, some of whom had already invested in the latter.  It has been quite a while since I have had a chance to see a Lactina up close, but I don't think they have changed, from when I rented one back in 1991.  As far as I know, there is no suction produced by the actual, mechanical unit, so it isn't actually a pump, it is an arm that moves pump parts that can also be operated by hand.  The PIS is actually a pump, and the parts that touch the breast and collect the milk are identical, I believe, to those that are used with the Lactina, so what is the benefit of the Lactina, over the PIS?  From what I have seen, the information from Medela that was copied here goes along with mothers' experiences with it, as far as its durability and prospects for holding up through as much use as one mother, who planned to do frequent pumping over many months, would expect to need it for.

Also, as far as adoptive mothers' experience with it, the PIS has been very popular, overall, but there have been moms who have not found it to be very effective for them, like one who pumped for months, following months on the BCP/domperidone regime, but got less an ounce a day total, using the PIS.  She was able to get up to a couple ounces a day after switching to the Avent Isis.  We have also seen moms who have found that they got more from hand expression than from the PIS.   

Darillyn

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2