Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 11:13:29 +1200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (8 lines)
I have had several mothers nurse with implants, or nurse aftre having implants removed with no more or less difficulties than other women (considering they are a bit less confident to start with) In terms of a possible underlying insufficency, one of my closest friends had a reconstruction of a breast 20 years ago due ot a congenital absence of breast structure that included some nipple repositioning. Her first baby (now 14) she comped with ABM as her supply just didn't seem to get to 100% - she guestimates rachel got about 60% of her nutritional needs. Second baby had a few comps in the early days but was fully breastfed from then on, Baby 3 -the reconstructed side was her favorite. Although this is possible because the other side was making more of the milk supply and had a rapider flow and she liked to comfort suck. We were in different cities but the LC who saw her between 1 & 2 (one of NZ's first) and I theorised that the first birth and feeding may have helped recanalize and help get things working for baby 2. This was in the days when full electric pumps were hard to come by for the average mother and overcomong some health professional nervousness was also an issue. So even if she doesn't get a full supply going its worth the perserverance in terms of the next baby. in fact i have actaully found sharing this story from that perspective - lets do as good as we can this time and see how it goes; its an investment for the furture can take some of the pressure off a mother in terms of the intenseness of her baby's current need. As for the  bottle warning if this is the same story that was doing the rounds on the parent boards a few weeks back invovling chemical leakage the conditions of chemical leakage were so extreme (boiling milk for twenty minutes from memory) that would never happen under normal usuage. Particularly as EBM is usually heated by warming gently not MW there seemed limited relevance and created  alot of panic. But it took a lot of looking to find out how the test was done as opposed to the scary results. Sonja LLLL Lower Hutt NZ

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2