Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2011 17:58:45 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Jessica writes:

<She does have one area about the size of a nickel subareolar that is mushy and appears to be filled ( ? abscess). My question is how can I help her to remove the milk. I did try RPS, massage and warmth but I got nothing – not even a little speckle of glistening milk. >

Please don't ever use RPS in such a case, especially with symptoms or suspicion of abcess formation. A ruptured abcess would potentially make much worse problems for the mom, as containment of an abcess at least allows for drainage or surgery on it if antibiotics don't clear it. I have taught at least one very experienced, professional mom to use RPS successfully on what we agreed must be a galactocele, but there were absolutely no signs of mastitis or abcess.

Though RPS itself for several other sub-areolar problems is as yet empirically based and has not yet been validated by formal research, as I originally stated in my JHL article:

<I recommend caution in using RPS in mothers with breast implants. (I strongly caution against its use in cases where there is any suspicion of a plugged duct or frank mastitis symptoms, without further research evidence on soft tissue massage in the treatment of these conditions.) 59>

Are anti-inflammatory medications being used as part of any other plan??

K. Jean Cotterman RNC-E, IBCLC
WIC Volunteer LC, Dayton, OH

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2