Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 1997 21:02:19 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
No post-op anesthesia for Cesareans? YIKES! 
That's cruel and inhuman, and most definitely NOT "research-based" practice. ARggghhh and ACKKK!

Reminds me of a hospital where I taught childbirth classes in the early 80's. One provider did not believe in administering local anesthesia before - or AFTER - cutting and repairing an episiotomy. His publicly stated rationale was that "the baby's head numbs the perineum and it stays numb for a long time afterward." Eventually a mom who was also a labor nurse and knew of this guy's practices birthed her baby, wiggled her legs out of the stirrips, and kicked at him until he injected local anesthesia for her episiotomy repair (her hands were tied down, also common in those days). The next day when he did rounds, she grabbed him by the front of his shirt, looked him straight in the eye and offered to cut and repair certain of HIS body parts without the benefit of anesthetic. He finally got the message. 

And some people wonder why women are "dissatisfied" with their perinatal caregivers????  How do these idiotic ideas ever get started, much less perpetuated????

I want to ask the men who subscribe to Lactnet - do you ever experience anything comparable to this kind of barbaric treatment under the guise of "health care?" Well, maybe I don't want to know the answer. Never mind. Sigh. 

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC - incredulous tonight in Dayton Ohio USA
Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre
http://www.bflrc.com

ATOM RSS1 RSS2