Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:53:49 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Dear friends,

I'm running behind the constant stream of Lactnet posts, but still want to chime in on the milk storage discussion.
When I teach (IBCLCs-to-be and HCPs) about feeding premature and otherwise fragile babies who are not fed directly at breast, my guidelines are:
First 24 hours of any food in the stomach is colostrum in chronological order of collecting, after that use the most fresh and the less handled milk first, which would be in preferred order: freshly collected (within 4 hours), uncooled, unwarmed milk, cooled milk, refrigerated milk. Formula to remember is: LIFO: last in, first out. (my daughter works in a supermarket where she has to fill the merchandise FIFO: first in, first out).
For working moms my advise is to pump for use and not for storage. And thus also having baby fed freshest milk first, leaving frozen stock for emergencies when she runs out of fresh milk. 
Bottomline message: There is no need to pump more than needed (only for very small/young premies that don't need large quantities now, but mom will need to establish a good supply for the time they do need more), fresh milk is best; frozen milk is fine and still healthy is anything else fails, even if the quality is getting down with time.
Evidence based is great, but common sense will eventually win the game in making breastfeeding workable and enjoyable for most moms.

Warmly,

Gonneke, IBCLC, LLLL in southern Netherlands

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2