Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 2010 11:51:53 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
Hello, I have permission to post regarding a friend of mine.  
She has a 5 month old that she was exclusively breastfeeding until recently when she was diagnosed with cancer.  Once she started chemo she stopped breastfeeding and has been giving her baby donated breastmilk from friends.  She's almost out though and has been looking for other potential donors so that she doesn't have to switch her baby to formula.  She found someone on milkshare.com who is willing to donate, but the woman has a history of oral herpes with cold sore outbreaks every 6 months and also a history of HPV.  We have been unable to find any good studies on whether or not this milk would be safe for her, so I am hoping to pick your brains!  From what I've seen though, it look like HPV is not a big concern, but I'm not sure about the oral herpes since there could be viral shedding from the mouth to the breasts.  Does anyone have any resources to suggest where I could look for specific information on this, or have any statistics to site that might be helpful?  This mom is very dedicated to keeping her baby off formula.  She has obtained an rx for breastmilk from our nearest milk bank, but it's my understanding that she's having trouble getting it covered by insurance.  Any help is appreciated.  Thank you, Katie Williams RN, BSN, LC Intern

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2